How to Prepare for Your First Electrolysis Hair Removal Appointment
Today, many misconceptions about electrolysis hair removal exist. In this guide, we aim to dispel these unnecessary fears. Your first electrolysis session should not be a point of anxiety. In fact, making this life-changing decision to remove unwanted hair should be celebrated. To help you prepare for your first appointment, we have put together some suggestions that will put your mind at ease.
Where to Begin:
- First, it is crucial to find a reputable, licensed electrologist. Selecting a proficient technician with experience will ensure that you have effective treatments. Not all technicians are equally skilled, so it is important to carefully check their credentials, reputation, and reviews.
- Next, schedule a consultation. During your consultation, be sure to specify which (if any) topical or oral medications you are currently taking. If you use any topical medication on the treated areas or take any medication for acne, you must immediately inform your technician. They will be able to advise you on the correct timing for your electrolysis treatment while considering your medications. Certain medications like Accutane must be stopped for a minimum of 3 months prior to starting electrolysis. Additionally, during your consultation, many technicians will often provide a free demo. This demonstration will ensure that you feel comfortable with your technician’s work.
You have found a reputable electrologist and had your first consultation. How should you prepare for your appointment?
- Prior to your appointment, pause your use of any topical chemical exfoliants, such a retinol or retinoids. Electrolysis can irritate the skin during the first few sessions; the use of these creams could make the irritation worse. Therefore, discontinue the use of these topicals while undergoing electrolysis. You may use them again once your treatments are complete.
- Do not pluck or tweeze your hair while undergoing electrolysis. You can shave the area 1-3 weeks before your appointment, depending on how quickly your hair grows. Your electrologist will need to be able to see and tweeze the hairs that are being treated.
- Ensure that the treated area is not overexposed to the sun. Electrolysis should not be performed on tanned or sun-damaged skin.
Finally, the day of your appointment has arrived. Here are a few suggestions to make your appointment enjoyable:
- Before your electrolysis appointment, drink plenty of water and avoid caffeine or alcohol.
Now, it is time to relax and get excited for your electrolysis appointment. You are one step closer to being hair free!
Schedule an Appointment
Visit Aviva Dermatology for more information about electrolysis treatment or our other services, including skin cancer removal in Houston.